The Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu is one of the most famous treks in Cusco and it is undoubtedly the best alternative route to experience the original Inca paths. This trek takes you through many different types of landscapes. You will have the best opportunity to see the typical Andean landscape up to the snowcapped mountains, down to the tropical forests and finally even venture into the dense jungle. If you are thinking to do a hiking trip to Machu Picchu and you want to be off the beaten path, close to the Andean communities and appreciate the beautiful and diverse nature of Peru, the Salkantay Trek is highly recommended.
DAY 1: Cusco – Mollepata – Challacancha – Soraypampa
Around 4:30 a.m. we will be picked up at our accommodation in Cuzco to head for Mollepata, which is 2900 meters high. There we will have breakfast and at the end we will go to Challacancha, population from which we will begin our walk until we reach Soraypampa, where we will have our lunch.
Cuzco – Mollepata – Challacancha – Soraypampa – Humantay Lagoon -Soraypampa
After lunch we will continue to the beautiful Humantay Lagoon, there we will enjoy incredible views of the lagoon with the snow in the background, creating a landscape that is considered one of the most beautiful of the Andes. We will return to the Soraypampa camp where we will have dinner and rest until the next morning.
DIA 2: Soraypampa – Soyrococha – Huayracmachay – Challacancha
Today we will get up early and after breakfast we will begin the ascent to the Salkantay pass, which is located at 4750 meters above sea level, the highest point of the entire route, from where we can observe the beautiful valleys and the imposing snowy peaks. Then we will begin our descent to the town of Huayracmachay where we will have time to eat and regain strength to continue to our camp in Challacancha, where we will have dinner and spend the night.
DIA 3: Challacancha – Playa Sahuayaco – Hidroeléctrica – Aguas Calientes
Challacancha – Playa Sahuayaco – Hidroeléctrica – Aguas Calientes
We will get up early and after breakfast we will begin our walk to the small town of La Playa Sahuayaco through the Santa Teresa Valley. During the walk we will be in full contact with nature, we will see rivers, waterfalls, beautiful wild orchids and coffee and banana plantations among others. After lunch, a private bus will take us to Santa Teresa where we will take a transport to Hydroelectric where we will continue on foot for another 3 hours following the train line until reaching Aguas Calientes.
Once in Aguas Calientes you will have free time before dinner to rest or walk through the town. Tonight we will stay in our hostel with private room and bathroom. We will go to bed early because the next day one of the most special moments of our tour, the imposing fortress of Machu Picchu, awaits us.
DIA 4: Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Cusco
Today we will get up very early (5 am) to start the fifth and final day of the trek to Salkantay with a walk of approximately 1 hour and a half to Machu Picchu. We will enjoy a 2-hour guided tour of the citadel, after which we will have free time to explore it on our own and be able to calmly see the historic citadel.
At the end of the visit we will return to Aguas Calientes (if you want you can return by bus to avoid the walk, buying the ticket there for 12 usd per way), we will have time to eat and back by walk to hidroelectrica (Our driver and van are waiting for us here for continue to Cusco, Departure 3pm / arriving 10pm to Cusco ) or buying the train ticket to Ollantaytambo 90 USD ( 1:45 hrs to Ollantaytambo and continue to Cusco by van 1:45 hrs).
- Transport from Cusco to Challacancha (start point).
- Oxygen bottles and first aid kit.
- 02 nights accommodation in Camps (Soraypampa, Chaullay, Santa tereza).
- Cargo Mules: On days 1 and 2, cargo mules carry the all camping equipment and your allowance of personal baggage (5 kgs ). On days 3 and 4, your luggage will be carried by car or train to your destination
- Meals: 3 Breakfasts, 3 Lunches, 3 Dinners (Vegetarian, vegan, or special menus are available at no extra cost).
- Entrance ticket to the citadel of Machupicchu.
- Meeting with the guide one day before starting the tour.
- Breakfast at the hostel, or a boxed breakfast.
- Camping equipment (Tents & Matras).
- Horseman for the route and support with camping equipment.
- One night accommodation in a hostel with private bathroom and hot shower.
- 1 Duffle Bag: You can put your personal luggage, up to 5 kgs including your sleeping bag, in this bag to be carried by our horses.
- Professional Guide for the excursion (English | Spanish).
- Chef: Our Cook with extensive experience in food (we also have available a Vegetarian option).
- Transport from Hridroelectrica to Cusco (Departure time at 3:00pm).
- Bus Up or Down to Machu Picchu.
- Last lunch after the visit to Machu Picchu.
- Entrance to the Hot Springs (Santa Tereza) S / .10.00.
- Entrance to the Humantay Lagoon (S.10.00).
- Sleeping bag.
- Train Ticket from Hidroelectrica to Aguas Calientes or Aguas Calientes to Hidroeléctrica.
- Train Ticket from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo.
- First breakfast in Mollepata.
Salkantay is passed over 4650 meters above sea level highest point of the tour and the lowest point of the tour 2000 meters above sea level, requires garments for two types of weather, the first day and second day high mountain garments and the third day, fourth day and the last day, clothes for tropical weather and the weather varies according to the time of year, especially during the rainy season. As it is a variable climate, we recommend taking:
- Sleeping bag (-15º)
- Warm clothes (rainy season raincoat)
- Comfortable footwear (if possible waterproof mountain shoes)
- Personal kit
- Thermal clothing
- Waterproof backpack cover.
- Mosquito repellent.
- Flashlight or torch with extra batteries.
- Camera or camcorder
- Hat & Scarf.
- Raincoat / waterproof poncho
- T-shirt and shorts for walks
- Personal snack and water in bottle
- Original Passport
- Extra money (soles or dollars)
- Medium backpack between 20 to 25 liters
- Personal cleaning (Toothpaste, Soap, Shampoo, Etc)
- Sun Glasses.
- Sandals or flip flops
2020 LAND COST
Please complete the form below to request a reservation. One of our Trip Coordinators will contact you, often within two business hours, to confirm availability of the trip and/or provide you with other options. Once availability is established, we will ask for a deposit and a completed online registration to confirm your spot on the trek or tours. Please write us to firstname.lastname@example.org or write at (+51) 978 292996 with any questions or to confirm availability over the whatsApp or phone.
Locations Visited: Mollepata, Challacancha, Soraypampa, Humantay Lake, Salkantay Pass, Chaullay, La Playa, Santa Teresa, Hidroelectrica, Aguas Calientes, Machu Picchu
Trip Style: Trekking, Cultural, Adventure, Nature
Length: 4 Days / 3 Nights
Frequency: Pickup is at 5:00 am from your hotel lobby and drop off will be around 10:00 pm aproximately.
Group: 2 person minimun, to more…